Monday, May 16, 2016

PINWHEELS FOR PENTECOST:

Hello there! Sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday. My day started at 5:30 am and after our son's Cinco de Mayo party, I was too spent to post. Our band at church had been planning the Pentecost services for the past month, and I made a couple dozen pinwheels for the Children's Moment.

I started with bare wood pencils and wanted to make them look like flames. I started at the top and rolled the pencil in a sawing motion with Whisper White craft ink. I wiped off the excess ink, then repeated the process with Daffodil Delight. I did it again with Pumpkin Pie and finally Real Red.

I used Real Red, Pumpkin Pie & Daffodil Delight DSP from the Brights DSP Stack using 4 1/2" squares. I used the 7/8" Scallop Circle Punch for the centers and used some push pins for the centers.

I used Liquid Tombow to glue the corners together and inserted a brad through the center while the glue was drying the get them as flat as possible. After 10-15 minutes I removed the brad, added a button to the back and stuck the push pin into the pencil eraser.

If you push the pin all the way into the eraser, it will be more sturdy, but it won't move very easily. I wanted them to move if you blew on them, so I pulled the pin away from the eraser I bit.

When we handed the pinwheels out to the kids I said: "It takes a big breath of air to get this pinwheel to move. And like us, we need God breathing into us-by the Holy Spirit, to get US to move and be effective in sharing the love of Jesus and building His kingdom".

I don't know if they make a longer push pin. It would have worked out better, as some kids were a little rough with them and they fell off the pencil, but they're easy to put back together.

Yesterday was a lot of work, but I was so glad to be able to be a part of it. I hope we helped make a difference:) Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment